Monday 5 September 2016

August Wrap Up and September TBR

August Wrap-Up

In August I read a total of 12 books which is not my best but I think I did pretty well. I did however have an inordinate amount of 3 star books so it was rather an underwhelming reading month for me. Here are the 12 books in order from least favourite to favourite.

Every Exquisite ThingWay Down Dark  (The Australia Trilogy, #1)Witch Hunter (The Witch Hunter, #1)Eden Gardens
12. Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick: My biggest disappointment of the month and one I very nearly didn't even finish. It pulled itself together in the middle and the ending was almost good but it wasn't enough to save a main character who annoyed me this much. 
11. Way Down Dark by JP Smythe: This is one of those times where I am pretty sure it's my fault. I am starting to think that dystopians are just no longer my thing. This was a very brutal depiction of our future and I just failed to feel any emotional connection to the characters - meaning deaths lacked impact.
10. Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker: This showed a lot of promise - especially with the side characters. I didn't really like the main character and I felt like some elements were underdeveloped and plot twists were hugely obvious. But I am definitely planning to read the sequel so that I can find out how it all resolves.
9. Eden Gardens by Louise Brown: Beautiful writing, great historical detail and characters that, if not exactly likable, were at least realistic and compelling. It's just a shame that this book left me feeling so depressed. There is not a single moment of hope or happiness anywhere in it's 368 pages. 
Summer Shadows (Benedicts, #6)The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1)Assassin's Heart (Assassin's Heart, #1)The Silvered Heart
8. Summer Shadows by Joss Stirling: This was, as I expected it to be, fun and uplifting and romantic. It's the 6th book in the Benedict series (a series I never fail to enjoy) and although probably my least favourite of the series so far it was still very enjoyable and I loved the characters. I look forward to more of this series.
7. The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi: Maybe this is my own fault for expecting something The Wrath and the Dawn-esque but I felt slightly let down. The world and the writing were beautiful but the story got lost in amongst all that beautiful writing and so, unfortunately, did the characters. I definitely want to read the companion novel however.
6. Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers: There was a lot to love about this book. Assassins, an Italy-like world, revenge. So many of my buzzwords. And for the most part - it delivered. I was thrilled that the romance never overpowered her desire for revenge and I loved that the assassination sections. There was something missing that prevented me from loving it but it was definitely a great read and I highly recommend it.
5. The Silvered Heart by Katherine Clements: This was a review novel (my review here) and I really liked it. It was action packed, the historical elements were amazing and the main character was so brilliantly flawed. I am very excited to read more from Katherine Clements.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2)
4. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling: There seems to be a lot of disappointment when it comes to this screenplay. And yes, the plot is very implausible and I am never a huge fan of time travel but honestly it was just so great to see the old characters again (even if Harry was acting very badly) and even better was meeting Scorpius whose sarcasm really made this book for me.
3. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater: I've been holding off on reading this series for so long and oddly I am glad that I did because now I can marathon it and avoid pesky cliffhangers. I instantly loved these characters and the plot line is interesting although not very fast paced.
2. The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater: Just slightly better than The Raven Boys, I am loving where this story is going. I loved the new characters that were introduced and the depth that was added to the old characters. And there was a cliffhanger. So my plan is proven to be a good one.
1. The Rose & The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh: My favourite book of the month is one I should have read earlier. I was so scared that it wouldn't live up to the promise of the first book. And whilst I think I did love The Wrath and the Dawn ever so slightly more this was an incredibly satisfying end to the duology. 

September TBR

September is a great month for new releases so I know I am going to be overwhelmed with new books for my ever-growing TBR pile. All of which will somehow be a higher priority than the poor books languishing at the bottom. I also have a few review books that I am excited to get into. These are the ten books I am absolutely, definitely prioritising this month.

In the Month of the Midnight SunYou And Me, AlwaysThe RumourThe Inside of OutA Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
10. In the Month of the Midnight Sun by Cecilia Ekback: After reading and enjoying Ekback's other book Wolf Winter I was excited to receive a copy of this for review. I don't know much about it although I believe it's set in the same location but with different characters. 
9. You and Me, Always by Jill Mansell: I have enjoyed every Jill Mansell book I have read so far and this one appeals to me a lot. I love the cover and the plot intrigues me so I am excited to review this one soon.
8. The Rumour by Elin Hilderbrand: I received this for review again, I know next to nothing about it. But I was drawn in by the cover and the promise of scandal and rumours and I am hoping for great things.
7. The Inside of Out by Jenn Marie Thorne: "Meg Cabot meets Glee" already sounds like a fun read. I've heard nothing about this one so far and I kind of want to go in blind but it definitely looks like my kind of book.
6. A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess: Again, I know nothing (this is getting to be a theme), but fantasy combined with beautiful cover equals "I must have it" so this is a definite.
The Trouble with Mistletoe (Heartbreaker Bay, #2)Three Dark CrownsA Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
5. The Trouble With Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis: I feel like this might be intended to be a Christmas book? And since it is released on the 27th it's entirely possible I won't get to it this month. But I am very excited for it's release and I'd like to read it as soon as I can.
4. Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake: Everything I've seen of this so far makes me think I will love it. So. Excited.
3. A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir: Apparently Sabaa Tahir gets pretty ruthless with her characters so that should be fun. Definitely looking like this will be an action packed read.
2. Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas: This is released tomorrow and I am not ready. It's the penultimate book in the series so I just know things are going to get bad for the characters (or you know even worse than they already were).
1. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo: This is also being released on the 27th but since I already know I will be reading it the second it arrives I can pretty much guarantee reading it this month. I am desperate to find out what happens next.

You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

2 comments:

  1. You still had a great month. I want to read a couple of those, especially Harry Potter. Read so many mixed reviews but frankly, I think some went into it expecting too much.
    Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel, I went in knowing it was a screenplay and not really the eighth book as such and I enjoyed it - I see a lot of complaints about the format.

      Delete