Tuesday 8 March 2016

Top Ten Characters I Love But Others Seem to Dislike!

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke & the Bookish and you can check it out here if you would like to take part! This week's post was quite difficult but I was interested to have a go at it! My main problem was having no idea what the majority opinion was on any of the characters! This turned into a top five post because I think I do generally agree with most people when it comes to fictional characters!

1) Scarlett from Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
I actually don't know how the majority of people feel about Scarlett but I am pretty sure she is not a generally likable character. And yet I really love her. She is a very complex, determined character with plenty of weaknesses.

2) Becky from Vanity Fair by William Thackeray
In a similar vein to Scarlett, Becky is fairly selfish and very determined to marry well! Again I don't know how most people feel about her but I do know my Mum absolutely hates her whilst she is one of my all time favourite book characters!

3) Lydia from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Poor Lydia. I feel like this is swiftly turning into a post about Classics but I recently watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies which made Lydia, if no less easily likable, at least a three dimensional character. It's like people forget Lydia is a child who has been raised by an incredibly vain and superficial mother - she hasn't had the chance to learn better but gets judged anyway. How many people really want to be judged about their teenage selves (not sure I do!)

4) Sydney from Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
Again, I honestly don't know if she is a hugely disliked character but I've seen enough reviews that disliked her to add her to my list. I loved her. She was strong and intelligent. On the surface she is very different from Rose in the Vampire Academy books but she has her own set of skills and her own kind of strength and I admire that!

5) Clary from City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
I have seen Clary referred to as weak and annoying so many times. But I am amazed by her. Put me in the same situation and I have no idea what I'd do. Probably check myself into a mental institute?



You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

10 comments:

  1. Agreed about Lydia, she's only fifteen after all! I had Scarlett on my list too :)

    http://basedonthebook.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/10-under-loved-literary-characters.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree about Lydia! I feel so sorry for her! Scarlett definitely seems like a popular one, I guess she wasn't as hated as I thought!

      Delete
  2. I love Clary too! Awww. I don't understand why people can say she is weak when she is one of the strongest of them all. My TTT: https://aubreysbooknook.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/top-ten-tuesday-characters-to-love-or-not-to-love/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always annoys me when people call her weak! Just because she doesn't have as much fighting experience doesn't mean she isn't strong!

      Delete
  3. Great Top Ten!
    Sadly, I'm one of those people! I'm very disappointed in how Sydney turned out...In the Vampire Academy series, she seemed like such a strong character, but then when it came to Bloodlines, she changed. She turned into a love struck weakling, and I'm not into that! :(
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see what you mean but I will always love her! :) Of course I do still love Rose more.

      Delete
  4. Sydney made my list this week for the same reason! Though, I disagree with you on all of the rest :p Especially Lydia!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like Sydney! I can see why people don't like Lydia - but I just think about what I was like as a 15 year old and I can't help feeling sorry for her. If I'd had to make a decision about who to marry at that age it would have gone horribly wrong! She made one (hugely) bad decision and now she has to live with Wickham forever. Poor girl.

      Delete
  5. Personally I could never get interested in anyone from Gone with the Wind - book or movie. Oh well... :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find all the characters boring except Rhett and Scarlet and I hate Rhett. So I guess if you don't like Scarlet either it doesn't work out well!

      Delete