Wednesday 24 February 2016

Wednesday Catch-Up 24th February 2016

Every Wednesday we are linking up with WWW Wednesday. WWW Wednesday is hosted at Taking on a World of Words and asks 3 questions: What are you currently reading?, What did you recently finish reading? What do you think you'll read next? 

Clare:

Currently Reading:
Wolf Winter
I am a few chapters into Wolf Winter and I am tentatively enjoying it. It's a little different from my usual reads and I am not fully convinced yet but I do like the writing style and I am intrigued to see where this is going! The blurb is a little vague so I know there is a mystery surrounding the body the girls find and a potential murder but so far it's the atmosphere that I am loving.

Recently Finished:
In a Dark, Dark WoodHow Not to DisappearThe Art of Being NormalWe Are the Ants
All the RageTake The FallBurning Midnight
The first book I finished in the last fortnight was In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. I struggled with this but I feel like that was more my fault than the books. I got very stressed by the thriller aspect and kept wanting to skip to the end to see who did it! Ultimately I think the ending was actually a bit predictable which was a shame. I then read How to Disappear which I really enjoyed. I've heard good things about Clare Furniss and I will definitely be looking to read more by her. There were some difficult issues but I loved the characters and really cared what happened to them. I then finally read The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson and I am just so glad this book even exists. I think it's tremendously helpful and hopeful and I really enjoyed it. We are the Ants was nothing like I had expected. It was way better than I had hoped and I really really enjoyed it. I will definitely be re-reading it in the future. The same goes for All the Rage by Courtney Summers. I always love her writing and the way she can make unlikable characters likable. This wasn't really necessary here since the main character felt very realistic and interesting and seemed the sort of person I would genuinely want to be friends with but I appreciated the way Courtney Summers dealt with the subject at hand and I highly recommend this book. I then read another thriller that I had slightly more luck with which was Take the Fall by Emily Hainsworth. I thought this was a really good read, I didn't see the ending coming at all but once it was revealed who killed Gretchen it definitely made sense to me. I am sure there were plenty of hints throughout the book that I completely missed so I definitely want to re-read it at some point and see if that affects my enjoyment at all. I was slightly disappointed with the very end of the book because I usually prefer a little more resolution but overall I enjoyed it. And finally I read Burning Midnight which was a new purchase for me on impulse and I did enjoy it but I wasn't overwhelmed by it. I felt like the character development was lacking and the development of relationships was just way too fast in book time. A lot happened off the page so it wasn't insta-love but it just didn't feel real to me. I almost wish this was a series so there had been more development time.
Planning to Read Next:
Beatrice and BenedickKitSong of the Sea Maid
I am planning to read Beatrice & Benedick and Kit by Marina Fiorato next. I have enjoyed all of her books that I have read and these two are her most recent and the only ones I haven't read yet so I am excited to get into them. Beatrice & Benedick intrigues me a lot since it is based around Much Ado about Nothing. I am then planning to read Song of the Sea Maid by Rebecca Mascull which I heard about recently and was intrigued by. 


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

4 comments:

  1. Your experience of In a Dark Dark Wood is basically why I don't often read thrillers! I get really stressed out and start skim reading forward - which is a terrible way to read! Once I know the characters I like are going to be ok I can relax, but by then I've ruined it for myself - d'oh!

    Here's my WWW: https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/www-wednesday-24th-february-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I did! Completely ruined the ending for myself!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad 'The Art of Being Normal' was good. I think it's a great topic for a YA book. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, I did have mild problems with it but I'm just so glad it's a topic that was being dealt with! I can imagine it being a very helpful for young people.

      Delete