Friday 11 December 2015

Friday Reads 11th December 2015

Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice, the idea is to grab a book, turn to page 56 (or 56% in an e-book) and find any sentence (no spoilers!) and then post it. Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence and impressions about the book.

Clare:

The Beautiful and DamnedVengeance RoadHow We Fall
I am planning to continue with The Beautiful and Damned I enjoyed the first chapter more than I enjoyed The Great Gatsby so hopefully that continues. I will probably aim to read a chapter a day. I have just started to read Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman which I have been looking forward to for a long, long time! And if I finish that I will be moving on to How We Fall by Kate Brauning.

Book Beginning:

"It weren't no secret Pa owned the best plot of land 'long Granite Creek, and I reckon that's why they killed him." - Page 1, Vengeance Road

Friday 56:

"The wind shifts and a new scent reaches me. Flesh. Singed hair. As sure as I am that someone walked away from this inferno, I'm sure another soul - or more - didn't." - Page 56, Vengeance Road


You can also find us on Goodreads (Ann and Clare) to keep up with what we are reading

26 comments:

  1. Sounds gritty and frightening...thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “FOREVER, INTERRUPTED”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely as gritty as I had expected it to be! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I like the "voice" in the book's opening and the description in your 56 selection. I'm curious about the title too. Sounds like a good story.
    My Friday post features FEVER SEASON.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole western voice took me a few pages to get into and then I loved it! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. How lovely... a weekend full of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me wonder what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of drama going on in this book! I really enjoyed it! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I've seen this book around. I will have to add it to my wishlist. This week I am spotlighting The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan and Once Shadows Fall by Robert Daniels. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard so many great things about it, I couldn't not read it! And I definitely enjoyed it! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I've seen a lot about Vengeance Road, all good, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really read Westerns before this year but now with Walk on Earth a Stranger and Vengeance Road I am loving the genre! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Books dealing with things burning I do not do well with. The except sent shivers up my spine so not my style. I hope you enjoy it though. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The want to read Vengeance Road so bad! And I love this excerpt too. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very, very good! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. That sure grabs you. I'm wondering what happened.

    My 56 - mhttp://fuonlyknew.com/2015/12/11/the-friday-56-88-somewhere-only-we-know/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much happens in this book! Very dramatic! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  10. Vengeance Road is on my wishlist! :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good book! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  11. Vengeance Road sounds really good - adding it to my list - both a new author and book. Here's my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  12. Vengeance Road is excellent - hope you like it! :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great - I definitely did! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  13. The cover alone would make me grab it.
    sherry @ fundinmental My Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really love the cover! I am glad I have it in Hardback! Thanks for visiting

      Delete